Language Instruction For Newcomers In Canada: An Overview

By Remitbee - May 30, 2022

A few things can be highly confusing for you when you arrive in Canada and are ready to settle in. One of them is language skills. However, the Canadian government has recognized this and has created a program.

The program seeks to help newcomers enhance their language skills in English and French, the two most common languages. Immigration, Refugees, and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) sponsor the Language Instruction for Newcomers in Canada (LINC) program. It trains adult newcomers to Canada in basic and intermediate English language skills.

LINC is offered in English in most instances, although a few institutions will also offer it in French. You have the option of attending full-time or part-time classes. Any adult on your homestead can take the courses if they are eligible.

What Are The Goals of LINC Classes?

The LINC's primary purpose is to ensure that its learners can do the following:

  • Teach them how to use a computer.
  • Assist them in learning about Canadian culture, which will make their stay in Canada more pleasurable and pleasant.
  • Improve their language skills to help them prepare for further education or the job market.
  • Acquire conversation skills that will be useful in their daily lives while also strengthening their listening, reading, speaking, and writing skills through proper grammar and pronunciation. -Assist learners in identifying community resources and learning how to use them.

Who Is Eligible For The Classes?

You must meet the following requirements to be eligible for LINC classes:

  • You must be at least 18 years old to register.
  • By completing a language assessment test at a Language Assessment Center, you can determine which level is suitable.

You should also be one of the following:

  • A Canadian permanent resident.
  • A convention refugee.
  • Your permanent residence application should be in the process being.
  • The IRCC has given your application preliminary approval, subject to admissibility assessment.

    If you're not eligible for LINC, it's because you are:

  • A temporary resident
  • A Canadian citizen
  • Seeking refugee status

Go to services, to discover a LINC center near you, though many community agencies can assist.

How To Enrol In LINC Classes?

After determining that you are now eligible to attend LINC lessons, the first step is to take an English language level test.

An authorized language assessment centre is where you can take the test. You must make an appointment before taking the test, which is, by the way, completely free.

After completing the test, you will be placed in the appropriate LINC class for your needs. If you don't meet the requirements for the LINC, the center will direct you to another language program.

The LINC program uses Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) to accurately measure your English speaking, writing, listening, and reading ability.

What Programs Does LINC Offer?

You can learn two main programs for free at LINC. The IRCC funds both of these programs. LINC 1-6

This program provides free language training and skill development to help you become fluent in English. This ability will enable you to participate and function in all Canadian society and economic elements.

If you are an adult newcomer to Canada, you will receive basic and intermediate English training. They provide morning, lunchtime, and evening classes and a place to leave your children while you attend class.

You must be 17 years old or older and a legal permanent resident of Canada to be eligible for this program.

You’ll need one of the following documents:

  • IMM5292 is a form that proves your permanent residency.
  • IRCC letter permits you to remain in Canada while your application for permanent residency is processed.
  • A current permanent residence card is required.
  • Confirmation of convention refugee status from the Immigration and Refugee Board (IRB)
  • Form IMM1000 Record of Landing issued before June 2002

You'll need your original Client-Referral-Form.pdf as well as one of the following documents:

  • Learner progress report
  • CLBPT assessment report
  • LINC certificate
  • The center will contact you by email within two business days.
  • Workplace LINC 5/6

This program is designed for newcomers who wish to enter the Canadian work market. They get to practice computer skills and improve their English language skills.

You'll need one of these two to be eligible:

  • Client referral form from a designated LINC school or a LINC language assessment centre.
  • A LINC 4/5 graduate

To register, complete these steps:

  • Complete your CLB assessment
  • After you get your results, complete the online-registration-form


Is it compulsory for Canadian immigrants to speak English or French?

Yes, that is the government's response to the question. With a few exceptions, such as family immigrants and refugees, the rest of the newcomers are expected to speak English or French after a few years in the country.

What is the difference between LINC and ESL?

The federal government funds LINC programs only offered to convention newcomers and landed immigrants. The provincial government funds ESL programs through the school board, and they are open to all legal residents and citizens aged 18 and above.

What English level is required for you to become a citizen?

You must meet the Canadian Language Benchmarks (CLB) Level four or higher in speaking and listening if you are between 18 to 54 by the time you sign the application.

If you wish to become a Canadian citizen, you must demonstrate that you have CLB/NCLC level four or better in French and English.

What is an ESL program in Canada?

English as a Second Language seeks to assist immigrants and international students in understanding the English language's core skills. Reading, speaking, writing, and listening are the four core English skills emphasized by the ESL program.

These core skills will aid students and immigrants in achieving their personal, academic, and vocational goals.


If you desire to stay in Canada and make it your home, don't let your language barriers get in the way. Improve your language skills by joining one of the LINC centers

Another thing that shouldn't be a problem for you is exchanging currencies and sending money worldwide. RemitBee will help you with that.