How to Revoke US Citizenship

By Remitbee - Jun 8, 2022

There are many reasons why a US citizen would want to revoke or give up their US citizenship. Some US citizens make this weighty and life-changing decision. Some do this because they don’t live in the US anymore and have no plans of returning. Some do not want to be burdened by filing and paying for their US tax returns.

Under US law, someone who has US citizenship may have their US citizenship be terminated if they become a citizen of a different country that does not allow dual citizenship or US citizenship; if they fight a war for a different country against USA, or if they attempt to overthrow the US government.

If you want to be Canadian and you are a US citizen, remember that Canadian law allows an individual to hold two or more citizens so you are not required to give up your US citizenship to become Canadian.

If you plan to revoke your US citizenship, think seriously, as renunciation is an irrevocable act. Once you give it up, you cannot regain it back. The only exception is if you renounce your US citizenship before the age of 18, you can have your citizenship reinstated by notifying the Department of State within six months of turning 18.

Revoking your US citizenship is not as easy as throwing your US passport in the shredder. The process is lengthy and involves paperwork, interviews, and money. With an increasing number of people renouncing their US citizenship, the US Department of State has imposed the renunciation fee from $450 to $2,350 on average. If you are considered a high-income citizen, you may be charged with a capital gains tax called expatriation tax or “exit tax.”

If you are interested in revoking your US citizenship in Canada, please email [email protected] You will receive an email with detailed instructions of the process and forms by email.

Here are the steps to take if you want to revoke your US citizenship:

  1. Make sure that you have a second passport or citizenship of another country. You will be required to bring your second passport to your renunciation appointment. Your request to revoke our US citizenship will be denied if you don’t have a second passport.
  1. Fill in the DS-4079 form before your appointment. This form contains a questionnaire determining the possible loss of your US citizenship.

  2. Book and attend your Renunciation appointment in a US embassy or consulate of the country you are in. Prepare the renunciation fee of $2,350. There will also be an interview to ensure that your voluntary decision is to revoke your US citizenship.

  3. Bring with you the following documents:

  4. Evidence of US citizenship (you may use your recent US passport or US birth certificate)

  5. US Consular Report of Birth Abroad (if applicable)

  6. Bio-pages of all your current foreign passports

  7. Certificates of Naturalization for any country, including the US (if applicable)

  8. Certificates of Citizenship for any country, including the US (if applicable)

  9. Evidence of any name changes such as your marriage or divorce certificates, deed polls, or court orders (if applicable)

  10. Completed DS-4079 form

  11. Completed Loss of Citizenship Questionnaire

  12. Completed Informal Loss of Citizenship Acknowledgement with signature and date and sent as a scanned document.

Make sure that you are up to date with all your taxes. Use the Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures to be tax compliant and avoid penalties.

File your tax returns for the previous five years. Your Final Tax Return will be filed for the year of your renunciation, called a “dual return.” You should also prepare your Form 8854. This form asks for general information on your new country of tax residence, date of expatriation, and your US tax liability in the last five years, plus your net worth on the date of your expatriation.

RemitBee: Your Partner in Converting Your CAD to Other Currencies

As you’ve seen, the cost of revoking your US citizenship is expensive. If you are in Canada, you have to convert your CAD to USD to pay for your revoking fee. If you go to banks and other currency exchange providers in the country, you will be disappointed with their low exchange rates and expensive currency exchange fees. But you won’t experience that with RemitBee. The best choice for shifting your USD funds to CAD

Exchanging currencies with RemitBee is free! We also give you the best currency exchange rates to get the most out of your money. We will give you a $15 bonus on your first exchange with us! So, start exchanging money with us wherever you are, whenever it may be using your smartphone or personal computer.

Sign up now

Other articles in Currency Exchange