Many Irish people and people of Irish descent have chosen to live in Canada. Is it possible you're one of them?
Since the outbreak of the pandemic, the government and numerous businesses have had to take safeguards. The advent of COVID-19 means fewer and fewer tasks are being completed in person.
This means to renew your Irish passport you’ll need access to a computer or a mobile device. Now 100 percent of renewals can be completed online. The steps you must complete are outlined below.
Here is a guide with some tips and advice on how to go about renewing your passport today.
How to get a paper application form
- You must obtain an APS2 Form.
- To obtain this form and submit it, contact your nearest Irish Embassy or Consulate. The main embassy in Canada is below:
- Embassy of Ireland, Suite 1105, (11th Floor), 130 Albert St, Ottawa, Ontario, K1P 5G4. Tel.: + 1 613 233 6281
- Your postal application must be submitted in the country where you now reside. It is not possible to apply by paper application form from Ireland if you live in Canada and are on vacation in Ireland.
For applicants who do not want to go through this process, it is easier to apply online.
Do You Meet the Requirements for Passport Renewal Online?
Checklist for passport renewals:
- You have your passport with you to submit with your application.
- Your passport was issued no more than 15 years ago.
- Your passport was either issued in your present name or you can show proof of a name change.
- Congratulations if you answered "yes" to all of these questions. Your passport can be renewed online.
Important Info For Passport Applicants
You should leave ample time for your passport to be done. So you should expect your passport application to take at least 12 weeks to be processed.
Online Renewal Applicants:
Please be aware that passports sent to Canada take around 3-5 weeks to arrive from the time they are dispatched. All applicants are advised to allow enough time for their passport to arrive and to avoid arranging travel without a valid passport.
Where to start the process for new or renewal passports:
Visit this site: Passports - Department of Foreign Affairs
Once you have your photo it takes no more than 15 minutes in total.
Applying for Minors under the age of 18
- Complete the Online Application form
- Print Child Passport Identity and Consent Form
- Applying you need the consent of all guardians. In the case that you are the sole guardian you need to send your application along with an (AFF1 Form)
- Know the Sole Guardian Affidavit to find it click here: [Paper Passport Application Forms](https://www.dfa.ie/passports/forms-documents/
- Along with the Declaration Form A: Download Declaration Form A
- Other documents and procedures listed here: Passports for children and guardian consent.
- Original documentation must be provided unless otherwise noted. Photocopies, short-form birth certificates, and laminated certificates are not acceptable. If the documents are not in English or Irish, certified translations are necessary.
- Documents postage: Send the appropriate documentation to the Passport Service. Important: You must send your documentation as soon as possible. When they receive those documents at their Dublin office, they will begin processing your child's application.
Additional need to know the information to successfully apply from Canada to renew your Irish passport
- Select the Irish consulate that is the most convenient for you. The Irish consulates in Canada are located in the following cities:
- Gather all necessary paperwork and documentation.
- Examples of identification:
- Driver’s license
- Proof of Name Change:
- Student ID
- Irish Passport (if applicable).
- Marriage certificate, Certificate of Name Change, and Adoption Decree are just a few examples.
- Proof of identity Examples -
- A certified copy of your driver's license, original passport, national identity card, or social security card
- Proof of residence
- Birth certificate in long-form
- Certificate of civil marriage or civil partnership (if you changed your surname)
A photo identification card is given by the government
- Submit photos that follows the standard stated:
- Applying online you have to submit a digital photo
- Must be suitable photograph from a photo booth or pharmacy
- It must not be a scanned image.
- Must be in color
- It must be at least 715 pixels wide and 951 pixels high.
- It should be in JPEG format.
- Compression, loss, or compression artifacts are not present.
- It will not be artificially improved or modified in any way.
- There is no barrel distortion or other distortion.
- It can't be more than 9 megabytes (MB) in size.
- If you are having to troubleshoot a photo at home, consider going to a photo booth or a photo service.
- Participating in photo booths
- Simply type the area and they will find one that cooperates with the embassy: Store Locator - IDstation.online
For applicants who encounter any issues or need more details on photo requirements, email: [email protected]
For complete guidelines see here: Photo Guidelines - Department of Foreign Affairs
4. Make arrangements to pay the fees
- Checks are not accepted when applying online
When your finish your application online the site will bring you to a page where you will have the choice to pay with any online banking service.
- Standard Passport Book 34 Pages: €70
- Large Book 66 pages: €105
- Passport book & card 34 Pages: €100
Passport book & card 66 Pages: €130
Children under 18:
- Standard Passport Book 34 Pages: €20
- Large Book 66 pages: €50
- Passport book & card 34 Pages: €45
-Passport book & card 66 Pages: €75
There is an additional €15 postal fee if you reside outside Ireland. This applies both to adults and children.
Tip: Adult passports are valid for 10 years and passport cards are valid for 5 years.
Children’s passports are only valid for 5 years
5. Verify that your application status
Using your 11-digit barcode found on your application form or on your An Post Receipt, you can check the progress. Follow this site: Passport Tracking.
Hopefully, this advice and tips helped you to complete a successful application. For further information, you can contact the Embassy directly.
Embassy of Ireland
Suite 1105, (11th Floor)
130 Albert St
+ 1 613 233 6281
Visa Office: Monday to Friday 9.00am-12.00pm.
All other enquires: Monday to Friday 9.00am - 12.00pm.
RemitBee's simple and easy currency exchange service is ideal if you need to transfer your CAD to EUR or any other currency to pay for your passport renewal fees. We convert your currency online at the best market rate for free!
Sign up with RemitBee today to start exchanging currencies and sending money