How Long Can Canadians Stay in the US and Vice-Versa?

By Remitbee - Jul 6, 2021

While you are still enjoying your Canadian summer, some are already planning on how to extend it by escaping the cold winter. Commonly known as snowbirds, they are known to migrate from the colder northern portions of North America to warmer southern locations.

If you need to convert USD and CAD check out this useful online currency exchange

Snowbirds used to be mostly retired or elderly people, but they are now of various ages. A sunbird, on the other hand, is someone who migrates to cooler areas throughout the summer, such as higher elevations or more northern locations.

Canadians can usually stay in the United States for a maximum of six (6) months (about 182 days) during a 12-month period. The allowed time spent in the US can occur during one trip or it could be the sum of several trips. If you need to stay in the US longer than 6 months, you have the option to extend your stay by filing a Form I-539 before your authorized stay expires through the USCIS. Canadian citizens require a visa to enter the US if they are going to visit longer than six (6) months, or if their visit is for reasons other than pleasure.

On the other hand, Americans can legally stay in Canada for up to six (6) months to travel, search for work, and even participate in certain short-term study programs. If you want to extend your stay, you must apply for an extension and pay a fee.

This must be done from inside Canada. You should apply for an extension at least 30 days before your status expires - usually 6 months from the day you entered Canada.

Prior to the pandemic, Americans accounted for about 15 million of the 22.1 million overnight international visitors to Canada, spending an estimated 11.1 billion Canadian dollars of the total 23 billion dollars in 2019. The majority of Americans went by land, with around 4.8 million arriving by air. On the other hand, there were approximately 20.72 million overseas visitors from Canada to the United States in 2019 wherein Canada placed first in terms of the most visitors from one nation to the United States, followed closely by fellow U.S. neighbour, Mexico.

If you always go on extended trips to Canada or the USA or operate a business in both countries and constantly need an easy way to convert CAD to USD and vice versa, Remitbee Currency Exchange is your best option. Not only do they offer the best exchange rates, but there are also no fees to pay when exchanging your currency.

However, because of the pandemic, travelling to both countries is still restricted. It is possible but only for essential travellers with certain qualifications set by both countries. Make sure to check for the most updated guidelines when deciding to travel or not.

Other articles in Currency Exchange